[B-Greek] MHDEN in 1 Clem 20.2

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Thu Jun 19 00:49:29 EDT 2003

Hi all:

1 Clem 20.2 hHMERA TE KAI NUX TON TETAGMENON hUP' AUTOU DROMON
DIANUOUSIN, MHDEN ALLHLOIS EMPODIZONTA.

BDAG calls the use of MHDEN here an "accusative of the inner object."
As I understand that terminology, it is equivalent to "cognate
accusative." I have always understood the cognate accusative to be a
direct object that shares lexically or conceptually the idea of the
verb. The verb with which MHDEN here functions is EMPODIZONTA, which in
this context means something like "hinder," and with the dative
complement ALLHLOIS means something like "hinder one another," i.e.,
day and night finish the course appointed by God without hindering one
another. My question is, if the accusative of inner object shares
lexically or conceptually the idea of the verb, is it really
appropriate to call MHDEN here an accusative of the inner object? It
seems to me that it is functioning as a full-blown adverb, "in no way
hindering." It may be that I am just confused about the terminology.
I'd appreciate any feedback.