[B-Greek] Matthew 24:34

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jun 18 06:50:41 EDT 2003

At 3:00 AM -0700 6/18/03, K.Bratanov wrote:
>Thank you for your replies.
>
>I'd like to know if there isn't another way of presenting "OU MH
>PARELQHi" in English except Future.

I certainly was taught, have taught, and have never seen reason in all my
reading in Greek to question the proposition that OU MH + aorist
subjunctive is the strongest of all possible negations; and I can't think
(offhand) of ever seeing it Englished without using a future tense. Below
is Wallace in GGBB (p. 468); I think you'll find pretty much the equivalent
of it in other grammars.
================
c.  Emphatic Negation Subjunctive
	1)  Definition  OU MH
	Emphatic negation is indicated by OU MH plus the aorist subjunctive
or, less frequently, OU MH plus the future indicative (e.g., Matt 26:35;
Mark 13:31; John 4:14; 6:35). This is the strongest way to negate something
in Greek
	One might think that the negative with the subjunctive could not be
as strong as the negative with the indicative. However, while ouj + the
indicative denies a certainty, OU MH + the subjunctive denies a
potentiality. The negative is not weaker; rather, the affirmation that is
being negatived is less firm with the subjunctive. OU MH rules out even the
idea as being a possibility: "OU MH is the most decisive way of negativing
someth. in the future."
	Emphatic negation is found primarily in the reported sayings of
Jesus (both in the Gospels and in the Apocalypse); secondarily, in
quotations from the LXX. Outside of these two sources it occurs only rarely.
===================

>And do you think that there isn't any possibility for the passage to
>be translated as ".. this GENEA would not pass, until all these
>things would taken place", or something near that, denoting a period
>of continuance, and not hist. point of beginning/end?

Sounds to me like you're wanting to make the Greek text assert something
hypothetical; while I think that there are several legitimate questions
that may be posed about exactly what the verse in questions means or
implies, I really do NOT think that it is intended as a hypothetical
assertion of what MIGHT transpire, IF such-and-such conditions should occur.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/