[B-Greek] definiteness and names/titles

Ron Fay roncfay at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 15:31:16 EDT 2003

This is actually two separate (and maybe three separate) questions all
rolled into one.

How does Greek show definiteness?

I am in the midst of going through Turner's "Syntax" from Moulton's series
and got to his section on the use of the article.  I must say, he says some
interesting things, some of which I buy and some I don't./  However, it
spurred me on to look at my understanding of what is definite in Greek.

The article always shows definiteness, obviously, but in what other cases is
definiteness also carried by the grammar?  This leads into understanding
proper names, which always carry definiteness, and titles, which generally
carry definiteness.

In the midst of wondering what else makes something definite (object of a
preposition, for example), I wondered how we are able to define something as
a title or as a name.  For example, what do we do with QEOS?  Is it a name?
Is it a title?  I have looked at some grammatical constructions using QEOS,
but I have been unable to determine if it is either one of these, let alone
if it is one or the other.

So I am looking for some help.

What, other than the article, carries definiteness in Greek, and how do we
identify that?

- Ron Fay

Ron Fay
Ph. D. student and New Testament Fellow