[B-Greek] article/no article

lance w seevers lws39 at juno.com
Tue Jun 17 15:13:32 EDT 2003

I have a question about the article. First a couple of passages by way of
example.
Jas. 2: 14, 17
TI TO OFELOS ADELFOI MOU EAN "PISTIN" LEGH TIS EXEIN EPGA DE MH EXH; MH
DUNATAI "H PISTIS" SWSAI AUTON;
OUTWS KAI "H PISTIS" EAN MH EXH EPGA VEKRA ESTIN KAQ EAUTHN
Gal. 3: 22-25
ALLA SUNEKLEISEN H GRAFH TA PANTA UPO AMARTIAN INA H EPAGGELIA EK
"PISTEWS" IHSOU XRISTOU DOQH TOIS PISTEUOUSIN.
PRO TOU DE ELQEIN "THN PISTIN" UPO NOMON EFROUROUMEQA SUGKLEIOMENOI EIS
"THN MELLOUSAN PISTIN" APOKALUFQHNAI
WSTE O NOMOS PAIDAGWGOS HMWN GEGONEN EIS XRISTON INA EK "PISTEWS"
DIKAIWQWMEN
ELQOUSHS DE "THS PISTEWS" OUKETI UPO PAIDAGWGON ESMEN

My question relates to the usage in James in particular but since the
passage in Galatians uses the word PISTIS, with and without the article
as well, I thought it relative. When a noun is used several times in a
given context, sometimes with the article and sometimes without, is there
anything to indicate that the noun refers to one thing without the
article and something else with the article? I heard a teacher say with
reference to H PISTIS in James 2 that it was different than the PISTIN in
the previous verse.
Thank you.
Walt Seevers
Missoula, Montana