[B-Greek] Mathew 24:34

K.Bratanov kbratanov at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 05:17:50 EDT 2003

Hello everybody,

Would you please help with the correct translation of Mat 24:34

The Greek says:
AMHN LEGW UMIN OU MH PARELQE H GENEA AUTH EWS AN PANTA TAUTA GENHTAI

I was surprised to find conjunctive, and "an" particle, instead of
future (according to the versions I've read) It'd be interesting for
me what is your proposal for literal translation as well.

I think that the particle "AN" makes the meaning little different
from defining *historical* points of beginning and end (for ex. the
sec. half of the I-st c.). Perhaps Jesus of Nazareth speaks rather of
period of continuance, e.g. less than 30 yrs, not mentioning the
historical point of beginning? Which would mean that we could only
get from here an idea of *how much time* those events would take, but
in now way *when* exactly they'd begin and, respectively, end ?

Thank you