[B-Greek] Mark 4:26-31: The word for "seed"

Barry Hofstetter nebarry.bh at verizon.net
Sun Jun 15 09:25:12 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peggy Rodina" <peggyrodina at yahoo.com>
To: <B-Greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 8:02 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] Mark 4:26-31: The word for "seed"

> "'ï óðïñïò, 'ï óéôïò, 'ï êïêêïò" are three words sometimes translated as seed.
Now I am wondering what the difference is and why so many different words?  In
addition is the word "ôï óðåñìá, -áôïò."  Thank you for any reflections.

Peggy, note what came through.  This mail list is designed to be text only.

Could you resubmit your question using the b-greek transliteration scheme?

On the subject in general, Louw and Nida (I've only converted the key terms to
b-greek transliteration):

*****

3.35 KOKKOS, ou m ; SPERMA a , tov n ; SPORON, ou m : the kernel part of fruit -
`seed.' kçkkov; spe°reiv ... gumnèn kçkkon e¸ tÀxoi s°tou `you sow ... the bare
seed, like that of wheat' 1 Cor 15.37. spTrma a ; kalèn spTrma zspeirav n tû=
?grû= `you sowed good seed in your field' Mt 13.27. spçrov; ka± é spçrov blast<=
`and the seed sprouts' Mk 4.27 (see also 10.23 for spor? `seed' used
figuratively of descendants).

A number of languages make distinctions between two quite different types of
seed: (1) those produced by grasses (that is to say, grains) and (2) those
produced by other types of plants, for example, beans, squash, apples, etc. In
all passages employing the Greek terms cited here, it is best to use some
expression referring to `grain.'

*****

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor of Theological and Biblical Studies
    The Center for Urban Theological Studies, Philadelphia, PA
Associate Pastor, Chinese Gospel Church
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1yfx7/