[B-Greek] Outside the Article-Noun

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 13 10:54:50 EDT 2003

Mitch wrote:

> the Predicate
> Adjective is "OUTSIDE the Article-Noun group."

In practice, determining whether a noun-adjective combination is attributive
or predicative depends more on whether there is a verb in the clause than on
where the articles are.

As a universal rule (correct me if I'm wrong), a predicate is less definite
than its subject. (Nouns are by nature already more definite than
adjectives.) This rule works even when neither the noun or the adjective
have an article.

BTW, I find this rule helpful for understanding why John left off the
article in QEOS HN hO LOGOS.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew Poetry)
Ph.D. (cand.), McMaster University
pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Flash! Pro: http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/westerholm/flash or