[B-Greek] Variations in the spelling of names

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 13 10:54:50 EDT 2003

For the spelling EI for long I, see Blass-Debrunner-Funk sections 23 and 38.
The confusion is frequent beginning in the early Hellenistic period. Codex
Vaticanus regularly used EI for long I to distinguish it from short I.
For doubling, BDF section 40 says "Great uncertainty prevails in the matter
of doubling consonants" from Semitic words.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Regent College), M.A. (McMaster)
Ph.D. (cand.), Religious Studies,
Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada