[B-Greek] Variations in the spelling of names

Trevor Peterson 06PETERSON at cua.edu
Fri Jun 13 09:38:36 EDT 2003

>===== Original Message From Clara Thomson <gemini1510 at comcast.net> =====
>I'm curious about the variant spellings of proper names in Matthew 1.4 and
1.7 in P. Oxy. 2.

>Specifically, Amminadab (for Aminadab) and Abeia (for Abia).

Based on common spelling variations in early CE material, it appears that EI
and I were pronounced the same, so this would be an easy switch to make. I
would think the other is also an easy change, depending on how well gemination
was reflected in ordinary speech. (Compare the same difficulty in English
spelling, since we often omit gemination.) For more info, you might want to
check

http://www.biblicalulpan.org/pages/PRONSYS1_US.pdf

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics