[B-Greek] After relating these things concerning John

Peter Kirby kirby at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 13 09:33:41 EDT 2003

The Greek text of the Hist. Eccl. of Eusebius, as given on the TLG CD-ROM,
states in Book 1, Chapter 11, immediately after the quotation of the John the
Baptist passage (18.5.2) in Josephus and before the Testimonium (18.3.3):

TAU=TA PERI\ TOU= *)IWA/NNOU DIELQW\N, KAI\ TOU= SWTH=ROS H(MW=N KATA\ TH\N
AU)TH\N TOU= SUGGRA/MMATOS I(STORI/AN W(=DE/ PWS ME/MNHTAI:

The Ante-Nicene Fathers renders the sentence as follows:

"After relating these things concerning John, he makes mention of our Saviour
in the same work, in the following words:"

What I would like to know is, is the sense of the Greek represented
accurately, and, in particular, does Eusebius make the implication that the
Jesus passage is to be found after the John passage in the work of Josephus?

Thanks in advance.

--
Peter Kirby (Student at Fullerton College, CA)
7:00pm up 2:54, Mandrake Linux 9.0, kernel 2.4.19-16mdk on AMD Athlon 750