[B-Greek] RE: online English grammar resources (sandra hack polaski)

Larry Baker lbaker at accs.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:45:54 EDT 2003

Dear Sandra Hack Polaski,

I have used ENGLISH GRAMMAR FOR LANGUAGE STUDENTS by Frank X. Braun and
published by Ulrich's Books, Ann Arbor, Mich. - 734-662-3201.  It is
nice, brief, inexpensive but somewhat dated.  Under "Participles" and
"Gerunds" he only discusses the ACTIVE but nothing about the PASSIVE
[e.g., "being  -ed"].  I have also suggested Bob Jones University Press'
ENGLISH HANDBOOK FOR CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS by Graced C. Collins, as simple
for standard, traditional English grammar including sentence
diagramming.

I am very interested for something in print and on the internet that is
brief, up-to-date, accurate and inexpensive.

Larry N. Baker, prof. of biblical languages
American Christian College and Seminary
OKC, OK

Two questions: First, I continue to discover that my Greek students are
hampered by a lack of familiarity with English grammar terminology and
an
overall understanding of the way language works.  Are there, to your
knowledge, any online tools out there (tutorials or webpages) that help
students preparing to study Greek (or Hebrew) (or other foreign
languages,
for that matter) understand how their own language works?

Second: If I don't find something existing that fits my students' needs,
I'm
considering developing an online tutorial of my own.  So I'd appreciate
anyone's OFFLIST suggestions of particularly good English grammar
resources,
or of grammar topics that particularly need to get into such a tutorial.
(If you teach both Greek and Hebrew, I'd especially like to hear from
you on
grammar basics that undergird a study of each language.)  Many thanks.
--Sandra Hack Polaski
Sandra Hack Polaski      shpolaski at btsr.edu
Associate Professor of New Testament
Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond
3400 Brook Road     Richmond, Virginia 23227
(804) 355-8135      (804) 355-8182 (fax)