[B-Greek] Mark 11:22

Andy Nwebube andy.nwebube at nl.wanadoo.com
Wed Jun 11 13:56:05 EDT 2003

> >Hi,
> >
> >Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that it is probably more
> >appropriate to say have Faith in God rather than say have the Faith
> >of God, as in having the God 'kind' of Faith, as if to say that there

> >were different kinds of Faiths?
>
> I think you have been given sound advice about the interpretation of
> the Greek here. Carlton's mention of the translation "trust in God" is

> important, the verb PISTEUW often means to rely on, to trust in, to
> put your whole weight down on God.
>
> >In this particular instant, it looks like Jesus was telling them to
> >have the God kind of faith, as opposed to having their own kind of
> >Faith. Then if this is the case it looks like that should be 'have
> >the faith of God'
>
> I'm not sure if you read Greek or not. I don't think the Greek
> supports you here

I'm afraid I don't read Greek that's probably why I am struggling.
Nevertheless I do understand what you are saying. Thanks.

> I also don't think the context supports you here. In this passage, the

> contrast is between faith and doubt, not two different kinds of faith.

> He is telling us just how much God can do, and that if we really put
> our trust in him, we can also do amazing things.
>
> >Sorry if it sounds all wrong I just want to understand why most notes

> >indicate the Faith of God
>
> I don't know what notes you are using. How do these notes interpret
> similar Greek phrases found, for example, in Gal 3:26, Rom 3:22, Rom
> 3:26, and actually throughout the New Testament? The problem may well
> be with your notes.

I will give but a few;

The Dake Annotated Reference Bible (KJV):

"Literally, 'Have the Faith of God.' Such is possible or it will not be
a command. Man was created with Gods Faith but doubt doubt entered in at
the fall....."

Other source is from a book which I prefer not to mention the name:

"... Notice Mark 11:22 of our text: 'And Jesus answering saith unto
them, Have faith in God' The margin of the King James translation reads
that Jesus said, '... Have the faith of God. Another translation reads
(infact, Greek scholars tell us it is a literal translation): 'Have the
God-kind of faith'."

Regards
Andy