[B-Greek] Mark 11:22

Jonathan Robie jonathan.robie at datadirect-technologies.com
Wed Jun 11 11:38:30 EDT 2003

At 03:27 PM 6/11/2003 +0100, Andy Nwebube wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that it is probably more
>appropriate to say have Faith in God rather than say have the Faith of
>God, as in having the God 'kind' of Faith, as if to say that there were
>different kinds of Faiths?

I think you have been given sound advice about the interpretation of the
Greek here. Carlton's mention of the translation "trust in God" is
important, the verb PISTEUW often means to rely on, to trust in, to put
your whole weight down on God.

>In this particular instant, it looks like Jesus was telling them to have
>the God kind of faith, as opposed to having their own kind of Faith.
>Then if this is the case it looks like that should be 'have the faith of
>God'

I'm not sure if you read Greek or not. I don't think the Greek supports you
here.

I also don't think the context supports you here. In this passage, the
contrast is between faith and doubt, not two different kinds of faith. He
is telling us just how much God can do, and that if we really put our trust
in him, we can also do amazing things.

>Sorry if it sounds all wrong I just want to understand why most notes
>indicate the Faith of God

I don't know what notes you are using. How do these notes interpret similar
Greek phrases found, for example, in Gal 3:26, Rom 3:22, Rom 3:26, and
actually throughout the New Testament? The problem may well be with your notes.

Jonathan