[B-Greek] Mark 11:22

Clwinbery at aol.com Clwinbery at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 09:40:09 EDT 2003

In a message dated 6/11/03 2:19:11 AM, andy at ipbackbone.co.uk writes:

>Hi all,
>
>Can somebody please tell me what the correct interpretation of the
>beginning of this verse say; "have faith in God". Some of the bible
>notes that I have seen says that it should be "Have the faith of God".
>

>Can anybody verify this is true in the Greek bible?
First to print the context:
Mark 11:22KAI APOKRIQEIS hO IHSOUS LEGEI AUTOIS: ECETE PISTIN QEOU.
This statement follows on the completion of the story of the cursing of the
fig tree.
In the next verse the opposite of ECETE PISTIN QEOU is MH DIAKRIQHi EN THi
KARDIAi AUTOU, "does not doubt in his heart."
Therefore I would take QEOU as the genitive object of ECETE PISTIN (a
functional equivalent of PISTEUETE) and translate "have faith in God" or "trust God."

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College