[B-Greek] Philo

Ken Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jun 9 13:16:21 EDT 2003

> I have heard that Philo writes that he never (or hardly ever) read the
> Torah in Hebrew, only in its Greek translation.  Does anybody know the
> source in Philo for this statement?

There is no direct statement in Philo's works to this effect. His knowledge
of Hebrew is open to question. He did work almost exclusively from the
Septuagint rather than from the Hebrew Torah (the exception being his
etymologies, which are from Hebrew, though not always correct). And he
strongly defends the inspiration of the Septuagint; see his retelling (and
expansion) of the Aristeas legend in On Moses 2.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Regent College), M.A. (McMaster)
Ph.D. (cand.), Religious Studies,
Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada