[B-Greek] Introduction book on Linguistics

kent lee k-lee7 at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 9 01:16:45 EDT 2003

   Personally, i think diagramming is not linguistically practical or
useful (even tho as a nerdy middle school student i actually liked diagramming).
   For semantics, i can recommend _Linguistic Categorization_ by John R.
Taylor, which is a cognitive approach to semantics and categorization, and
it's easy to read; and _Semantic Analysis: A Practical Introduction_ by
Cliff Goddard, which is also a fairly readable intro to the general concepts of
semantics. I'd stay away from formal semantics -- too mathematical and
impractical for general linguistic purposes.
   Another good book is _Linguistics and Biblical Interpretation by M.M.
Turner and Peter Cotterell (pub. by InterVarsity Press), which deals
mainly with text linguistics and pragmatics

kent lee
univ. illinois @ urbana-champaign