[B-Greek] Ephesians 1:8

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Jun 8 08:04:37 EDT 2003

At 11:35 PM +1200 6/8/03, Trevor and Margaret Nicholls wrote:
>Hi
>
>Can someone help with this question?
>
>EN PASH SOFIA KAI FRONHSEI
>(In/with all wisdom & understanding)
>
>Which is more likely:
>1. God has given wisdom & understanding as part of his lavish gifts?
>2. God's wisdom and understanding is behind the riches of his grace?

I think that a third possibility ought also to be considered: that the
phrase construes with the participle that follows (9 GNWRISAS hHMIN TO
MUSTHRION TOU QELHMATOS AUTOU, KATA THN EUDOKIAN AUTOU hHN PROEQETO EN
AUTWi ...): "... having, with all wisdom and understanding, made known to
us the mystery of his will ..." It has seemed to me that the flow of this
long sentence is governed more by a succession of liturgical phrases than
by any discernible clear and logical principle of syntactic relationships.
That is to say, it seems to me to resist any precise analysis of the
articulation of these phrases.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/