[B-Greek] Matthwe 18:2 called a little child unto him, Semitic idiom ?

Ron Fay roncfay at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 7 23:50:53 EDT 2003

No, he is right.  18:2 reads in NA 27 as:

KAI PROSKALESAMENOS PAIDON ESTHSEN...

D has the reading:

KAI PROSKALESAMENOS IESOUS PAIDON hEN ESTHSEN...

I'd have a real problem calling this a semitism as I do not recall such
syntax being regularly found in the OT (use of "echad" before a verb in
order to thematize a noun or else as a modifier of said noun).  I think the
way I would punctuate D would be along the lines of:

KAI PROSKALESAMENOS IESOUS PAIDON, hEN ESTHSEN...

Of course this leads to quite disjointed syntax in that IESOUS, the seeming
subject of the sentence, is now less likely to be the subject, though hEN
could be the DO of the verb.  This makes a choppy sentence.  Without the
comma, one must then wonder why the hEN comes after PAIDON at all.

Of course I could be missing something.

- Ron
Ron Fay
Ph. D. student and New Testament Fellow