[B-Greek] Direct Object in Genitive

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Jun 7 11:41:18 EDT 2003

At 8:25 AM -0700 6/7/03, waldo slusher wrote:
>We are told that some verbs take their Direct Object
>in the Genitive. Examples are listed as AKOUW,
>perception; SPLAGCNIZOMAI, pity; EPIQUMEW, desire;
>ARCW, ruling. The basis for these verbs taking a
>Genitive is said to be because they related to the
>"root idea" of the Genitive. In what way does
>perception, pity, desire, or ruling related to the
>root idea of the Genitive? I take it that Genitive
>comes from GENOS, kind.

Most if not all of these verbs have a PARTITIVE genitive as their direct
object (or "direct complement"). You might take a look at Smyth §§1339ff.
Teachers of Koine Greek seem to prefer to think in terms of a "four" or
"five" case system, but in teaching classical Attic I found it helpful to
explain genitive usage in terms of the three original cases that came to
use the same set of case-endings: Pertinentive ("belonging to/related to),
Partitive ("part of/some of"), and Ablative ("out/away from").

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/