[B-Greek] Usage of PAIS in Luke 7:7,Matt 8:5-13

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Jun 3 14:45:26 EDT 2003

As I simply don't understand some of what is being said here, I'll cite
only particular points; I should probably be writing off-list.

At 4:42 PM +0100 6/3/03, Mark Fairpo wrote:
>Dear Carl,
>
>Thank you for taking the time to respond to all five of my questions.
>
>>Do not kid yourself! We are ALL of us investigators from another place
>>and time
>
>Now we know why you hide away in the Blue Ridge mountains of N. Carolina.
>The Men-in-Black have the B-Greek member list.

I guess there must be some veiled allusion here, but in view of the events
to the southwest of me in this area last weekend, I'm dubious about this
being complimentary.

>>It seems to me that indications are unmistakable in Mt 8:5-13: it is hO
>>PAIS and the masculine pronoun AUTON is used of this servant. In Lk 7:1-10
>>the servant is called a DOULOS and there too is referred to with a
>>masculine relative pronoun hOS.
>
>Searching Strong's, I assume you kindly illustrated Matthew's singular
>neuter "relative pronoun" hO to compare with Luke's (singular) masculine
>hOS.

I really have no idea what you're talking about. I don't use Strong's at
all; I simply checked the text of Mt and read the masculine relative
pronoun hOS.

>As you mention this... may I ask... is Matt 8:5-13 or Luke 7:1-10
>second-person singular or pronoun? What are its implications?

I don't understand what you're trying to say: neither passage is a
"second-person singular or pronoun." I don't see any particular
implications in the word-choice in either passage, other than that Luke
here as more often than not uses a word that is free from any hint of
colloquialism. In contemporary American English it is out of the question
to speak of one's gardener or even of an elderly person shining shoes as a
"boy," but one may quite properly speak of a "servant."

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/