[B-Greek] The LXX phrase ERCOMENOS hHXEI in Habakkuk 2:3

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 3 12:48:18 EDT 2003

The questioner has correctly answered his own question, and on the formal side
this has been underscored by Carl. That is to say, Hab 2:3 has the construction
it has because of the source text.

As has been noted, in Hebrew a so-called infinitive absolute can be used to
intensify other verbal forms. Most books within the Septuagint anthology
represent that intensifying infinitive in Greek. The two regular ways of doing
so are (a) by a cognative dative noun (cf. Gen 2:17 QANATW APOQANEISQE ) and (b)
by a cognate participle, as we have essentially in Hab 2:3.

Though the intensification of the Hebrew could have been transferred to Greek in
keeping with standard Greek usage,  the two modes typically resorted to result
in translationese Greek, i.e. such usage occurs only in translation literature
of the formal correspondence variety, but not in the living language.

How does one translate such translationese?  Not  by superimposing the Hebrew,
in my view, but in accordance with what it can mean within Greek. Thus Gen 2:7:
'you shall die by death' and Hab 2:3  'when he comes he will come and not delay'

The Greek is as grammatical as the English is. Both are, however, semantically
tautologous.
Al