[B-Greek] LXX Tetragrammaton in Aquila query (& PaleoHebrew font?)

bgreek at ntresources.com bgreek at ntresources.com
Mon Jun 2 16:56:17 EDT 2003

Swete's Intro to the LXX (pp. 35-40) discusses and illustrates Aquila's use
of ancient *Hebrew* script for the Tetragrammaton in his (Greek!)
translation. An odd feature indeed. I've tried to reproduce this in a
written document, but the fonts are problematic. The only PaleoHebrew script
font that I've found is not embeddable in pdf, but I've found nothing else.
I have two questions.

1. Have I represented the characters accurately?
(The samples that Swete gives are not all identical and I suspect that they
are only approximations. My choices aren't identical to his, but they have
been selected from Pritchard's ANEP tables (p 88). The He is OK, and I think
the yodh is also, though it differs from Swete's; the Waw is more
questionable. I'm out of my territory in such Hebrew paleography.)

I've temporarily posted a graphic of my current "edition" at this URL:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/temp/temp.htm

2. Is there a free, embeddable TrueType font that contains the correct
characters? (I've used one called Phonike--which I think is intended to
represent the Phoenician script?)

I'd appreciate any feedback on these two questions. (I'm not interested in
sectarian theology on the subject.)

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D., Associate Prof/NT
Baptist Bible Seminary, Clarks Summit, PA,USA
NTResources.com  PURL: purl.oclc.org/NT_Resources/
Email: <rdecker> at <NTResources.com>