[B-Greek] Usage of PAIS in Luke 7:7,Matt 8:5-13

B. D. Colt babc2 at attbi.com
Mon Jun 2 16:36:45 EDT 2003

On 2 Jun 2003 at 14:56, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> At 2:19 PM +0100 6/2/03, Ben and Jo Crick wrote:

> >On Mon  2 Jun 2003 (08:21:07), cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu wrote:

> >>  I think the question regarding usage of words for "slave" is
> >> complicated in the Jewish/Christian tradition by the deep-seated
> >> conceptions deriving from the exodus experience of Israel: Israel
> >> has been liberated from bond-service (Abhodhah) to Pharaoh to be
> >> committed servants (Abhdhim) of YHWH; isn't there the phrase in the
> >> prayerbook, "whose service is perfect freedom"?
> >
> > There is indeed; and it's even more emphatic in the Latin /Vorlage/:
> >
> > Deus auctor pacis et amator   [O] God, the author and lover of
> > peace, quem nosse vivere             whom to know is to have life,
> > cui servire regnare est...    whom to serve is to reign...
> >
> > (the 2nd Collect at Morning Prayer, from the Sacramentary of St
> > Gelasius)
>
> But this  ("to serve is to reign") is not really quite the same thing
> as "to serve is to be wholly free." In fact the antithesis you cite is
> more like that of Satan in Milton: "Better to reign in Hell than serve
> in Heaven!" --

The BCP version reads as follows:

O God, who art the author of peace and lover of concord, in knowledge
of whom standeth our eternal life, whose service is perfect freedom:
etc.

Cranmer's collects tend to be a bit wordier than the Latin, but they
have a rhythm and a flow that suits the english language.

Barbara D. Colt, mailto:babc2 at attbi.com
St John the Evangelist, San Francisco
>From envy, Hatred, and malice and all uncharitableness
Good Lord deliver us.