[B-Greek] Usage of PAIS in Luke 7:7,Matt 8:5-13

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 09:19:45 EDT 2003

On Mon  2 Jun 2003 (08:21:07), cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu wrote:
>  I think the question regarding usage of words for "slave" is
> complicated in the Jewish/Christian tradition by the deep-seated
> conceptions deriving from the exodus experience of Israel: Israel has
> been liberated from bond-service (Abhodhah) to Pharaoh to be committed
> servants (Abhdhim) of YHWH; isn't there the phrase in the prayerbook,
> "whose service is perfect freedom"?

 There is indeed; and it's even more emphatic in the Latin /Vorlage/:

 Deus auctor pacis et amator   [O] God, the author and lover of peace,
 quem nosse vivere             whom to know is to have life,
 cui servire regnare est...    whom to serve is to reign...

 (the 2nd Collect at Morning Prayer, from the Sacramentary of St Gelasius)

 ERRWSQE
 Ben
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>
 http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm