[B-Greek] 1 Cor 6:3: MH/TIGE vs. MH/TI GE

Ruben Gomez rubeng at infotelecom.es
Sun Jun 1 07:37:39 EDT 2003

Dear List,

On Fri, 30 May 2003 11:13:48, "Rick Brannan" <textgeek at hotmail.com> wrote:

 >Hi folks.
 >
 >I ran across something curious the other day. I'd earlier thought that the
 >only differences between NA27 and UBS4 had to do with punctuation and casing
 >(and paragraph formatting). However, in 1 Cor 6.3, NA27 has MH/TI GE (i.e.,
 >as two words) and UBS4 has MH/TIGE (as one word).
 >
 >(snip)
 >
 >Is there significance to this seeming variant? If so, what is it? If not,
why do
 >NA27 and UBS4 differ in this case?
 >
 >Just curious,
 >
 >Rick Brannan
 >textgeek at hotmail.com

First of all, it is true that there are lots of differences between UBS4
and NA27
- paragraph formatting aside - as far as punctuation, casing and accents are
concerned. I already pointed out those differences (almost 5,000!) in a
published
Spanish book, back in 2000. There are also about a dozen places where you will
find SPELLING differences (like the one you mentioned in 1 Cor 6:3). See, for
instance, Acts 17:7 or 1 Cor 9:1.

Secondly, none of those spelling differences have any exegetical
significance, as
far as I can recall. However, they can become a little bit confusing if you run
certain advanced searches on the corresponding electronic Greek texts.

Hope this helps.

Ruben Gomez
rubeng at infotelecom.es