[B-Greek] Heb 2:10 - AGAGONTA

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jul 31 07:47:56 EDT 2003

At 1:13 PM +0200 7/31/03, Kevin Smith wrote:
>I have two questions regarding the use of AGAGONTA in Heb 2:10, which reads:
>
>EPREPEN GAR AUTWi, DI hON TA PANTA KAI DI hOU TA PANTA, POLLOUS hUIOUS EIS
>DOXAN AGAGONTA TON ARCHGON THS SWTHRIAS AUTWN DIA PAQHMATWN TELEIWSAI.
>
>1) How would one describe or classify its grammatical function in the
>sentence? Is it a temporal participle?

It is a circumstantial participle construing with the accusative object of
the infinitive verb TELEIWSAI.

>2) Why is it in the accusative case? It seems to modify AUTWi, so I would
>expect it to be dative. What am I missing?

AUTWi refers to God (the Father), but the AGAGONTA participial phrase is
accusative because it construes with TON ARCHGON THS SWTHRIAS AUTWN, the
object of TELEIWSAI, "For it was appropriate for him, for whose sake and
through whose agency all things (are done), to perfect through sufferings
the pioneer of their salvation when he had brought many sons to glory." Or
perhaps a little more suitable English: "It was consistent with the nature
of the one for whom and through whom all things are done, after he had
brought many sons into glory, to bring the "author" of their salvation to
consummation through sufferings," The awkwardness here resides in the
reader's tendency to assume that AUTWi refers to the same person as TON
ARCHGON with which AGAGONTA accords.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/