[B-Greek] PISTEUW - Imperfect Tense in John

Erich Vaughan Burton zaxciel at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 14:04:26 EDT 2003

 Thanks again for responses I received to my last question on
EN THi ARCHi.

 In John's Gospel he uses the Imperfect Active Indicative

tense 5 times and the Aorist Active Indicative tense 17 times,

yet these are all translated the same way as "believed".

Are the tenses interchangeable for the verb PISTEUW or should they be rendered

differently for each tense?

There is a definite distinction between these two tenses.

John interchanges them, so I would take it there meaning

must also be different.

One example:

KAI EPISTEUON EIS TON IHSOUN  John 12:37

I tend to see, "they were believing in Jesus.

Since I don't understand all the nuances a particular tense may have

for a particular verb any help would be appreciated.

.