[B-Greek] EN TWi SKOTEI

James Ernest jdernest at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 07:57:12 EDT 2003

I see no response to Waldo's Sunday posting, so I'll offer a brief,
off-the-cuff 2 cents (or less) worth:

Seems clear that these expressions have a spiritual meaning. The
blindness motif is of course used in John 9, and the light/darkness
motif at least in some texts probably also says something about
(in-)ability to perceive and mistaken (self-)understanding; but it's
bigger than that. In terms of Kysar's discussion of Johannine dualism in
The Maverick Gospel, it's about not only a human dualism (two ways of
understanding) but also a cosmic dualism (two realms of being). I'm not
sure the blindness motif can cover every darkness text. In 3:19, does
the doer of FAULA wish to avoid seeing or being seen? Or both?

"Two types of individuals at the extreme ends of the spiritual
perceptive spectrum" might imply an excluded majority in the middle, but
the Johannines no doubt place everyone either in light or in darkness
with no middle ground.

James D. Ernest, Ph.D., Editor
Baker Academic
+1 616 891 5625 (office)