[B-Greek] Heb 2:16

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jul 30 06:59:23 EDT 2003

At 9:56 AM +0200 7/30/03, Kevin Smith wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>Heb 2:16, OU GAR DHPOU AGGELWN EPILAMBANETAI, ALLA SPERMATOS ABRAAM
>EPILAMBANETAI
>
>Is there any case for understanding EPILAMBANETAI here as "take upon
>(himself)," i.e., he took upon himself the form of a man, not an angel
>(obviously with the goal of helping them)? I guess then SPERMATOS ABRAAM
>would be AGGELWN and the verb would be in aorist tense. Does the gloss
>"helps" have something to do with "taking their burdens upon himself"? The
>author seems to infer in 2:17-18 that in order to "help" men had had to
>become a man.

I'm not quite sure what you mean to imply here, whether it's that
EPILAMBANOMAI as "take upon oneself the form" might be used as a verb of
incarnation. IF that's what you mean, I don't think it's the case. I think
the sense here is rather, "take on as a personal concern" or "show a
personal concern for." BDAG offers the following senses:
============
	1. to make the motion of grasping or taking hold of someth., take
hold of, grasp, catch, sometimes w. violence, w. gen. foll.
	2. to take into custody, arrest (cp. Demosth. 33, 9) Ac 21:33.
	3. to pounce on someth. compromising, catch, fig. ext. of 1, w.
double gen.
	4. take hold of in order to make one's own, take hold of, fig. ext.
of 1 (Hdt. 1, 127; 5, 23; Polyb. 6, 50, 6; 15, 8, 12; Pr 4:13) THS AIWNIOU
ZWHS 1 Ti 6:12; cp. vs. 19.
	5. be concerned with/about. The context of AGGELWN, SPERMATOS
ABRAAM Hb 2:16 suggests the rendering take an interest in, prob. in the
sense help (schol. on Aeschyl., Pers. 742 [but s. KDolfe, ZNW 84, '93, on
the textual problem]; Sir 4:11). This may be the place for the variant
reading EPILABWN (but the act. is otherw. never used in LXX or NT) Mk
14:72.-M-M. TW.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/