[B-Greek] Correction!

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Jul 29 14:45:34 EDT 2003

Without commenting on the validity of this argument otherwise (Steven Lo
Vullo) can certainly speak for himself), I would suggest one other
correction:

At 10:05 AM -0700 7/29/03, waldo slusher wrote:
>Sorry for the last post. I neglected to reread it and
>was typing far too fast! Let me try again.
>
>hA ESTIN SKIA TWN MELLONTWN, TO DE SWMA TOU CRISTOU
>
>SKIA is in predicate nom to the neuter plural hA
>
>TWN MELLONTWN answers WHAT KIND of SKIA? (SKIA is
>plural as a collective noun, in pred to a plural nom)
>
>TWN MELLONTWN is neuter pl. in agreement with hA (of
>which SKIA is its pred nom, to which TWN MELLONTWN
>stands in adjectival relation, describing WHAT KIND of
>reflection or foreshadow)

This is phrased rather awkwardly: I don't see any NECESSARY relationship
between the number of hA and the number of TWN MELLONTWN; I don't think
it's necessarily the case that TA MELLONTA correspond in number to the
items included in hA. In fact, although one might indeed convey TWN
MELLONTWN in English as "of the things that are to come," one might just as
well convey it as "of what is to come"--I think there's an indefiniteness
to the neuter plural here and that TA MELLONTA ought not to be assumed to
correspond exactly in number with what reflects them remotely.