[B-Greek] Correction!

waldo slusher waldoslusher at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 13:05:21 EDT 2003

Sorry for the last post. I neglected to reread it and
was typing far too fast! Let me try again.

hA ESTIN SKIA TWN MELLONTWN, TO DE SWMA TOU CRISTOU

SKIA is in predicate nom to the neuter plural hA

TWN MELLONTWN answers WHAT KIND of SKIA? (SKIA is
plural as a collective noun, in pred to a plural nom)

TWN MELLONTWN is neuter pl. in agreement with hA (of
which SKIA is its pred nom, to which TWN MELLONTWN
stands in adjectival relation, describing WHAT KIND of
reflection or foreshadow)

That is why I called TWN MELLONTWN adjectival to SKIA,
which stands in pred nom to hA, which encompasses all
of the items listed in the previous verse.

Items vs 16 --> hA --> SKIA --> SWMA --> CRISTOU

They all form a link, leading from the things being
observed (vs 16) which are a reflection (SKIA) to what
the refection (SKIA) is a reflection of (SWMA TOU
CRISTOU).

What appeared to me was you were taking SKIA out of
this chain and extrapolating something that this text
is not about (the future from the standpoint of Paul's
writing). I think the idea here is not that MORE IS TO
COME, but the CHRIST was the reality behind the
reflection/shadow of the things observed, that is,
that all pointed to Christ in some way or another. For
Paul then, don't put emphasis on the hA/SKIA, but upon
SWMA/TOU CRISTOU.

=====
Waldo Slusher
Calgary, AB