[B-Greek] Matthew 19:9 - Could "epi porneia" be adjectival?

accuratebibles at ozemail.com.au accuratebibles at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jul 29 08:20:09 EDT 2003

Hi Dan,

I don't have the Greek text in front of me as I am at someone else's computer.

You have got the noun mixed up with the verb here, as I am not sure what you mean about connecting PORNEIA (noun usually translated as "fornication" in Bible versions)with the verb APOLUW which you give as "dismiss".

EPI commonly means "on the grounds of" which in English is often simply translated as "for" - thus (using your vocab.)"...dismisses his wife not on the grounds of PORNEIA" = "dismisses his wife not for PORNEIA". EPI governs 3 cases - here with the dative it's very common for on the ground of an accusation/charge, emotion or action. EPI is often used as "for" as a legal term. I wouldn't reply on Strongs so much - better to pick up a basic book on Greek grammar if you are going to take into consideration what books/concordances say about Greek.

To point out an anachronism - living with someone was just as legal as written marriage - there was no difference, unlike today - written and unwritten (that is, a couple living together) marriages were completely equally valid, and most certainly morally so, the only difference was that people had a written marriage if there was a dowry or property concerns with heirs. However, polygamy was regularly practiced by Jews in Palestine in the first century.

Hope that helps,

Ann Nyland