[B-Greek] Mark 1:33

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Jul 27 07:27:13 EDT 2003

At 6:54 PM -0700 7/26/03, waldo slusher wrote:
>Norman Goos
>
>> The verbal set, HN...EPISUNHGMENH, seems to be a
>> periphrastic construction
>> implying a pluperfect sense.  What perplexes me is
>> the phrase hOLH hH POLIS
>> and the position of the adjective.  Wallace (p. 307)
>> calls this
>> construction (A-Art-N) the first predicate position.
>>  If that is the case,
>> what is the subject of which something is being
>> predicated?
>
>The predicate POSITION does not always mean that the
>phrase FUNCTIONS SYNTACTICALLY as a predicate. Take
>hOLH hH POLIS as "the entire city." This is the
>subject of HN.

Wallace's note on predicate position allows for the exception in the case
of certain adjectives:

	"When the article is present, the relation of adjective to noun is
easy to determine. When the adjective is within the article-noun group
(i.e., when it has an article immediately before it), it is attributive to
the noun and hence modifies or qualifies the noun in some way. When the
adjective is outside the article-noun group, it is predicate to the noun
and hence makes an assertion about it.
	"The only exception to these rules when the article is present is
with pronominal adjectives (i.e., words that function sometimes as
adjectives and sometimes as pronouns, such as PAS, hOLOS). These may stand
in a predicate position but have an attributive relation to the noun. Other
than with pronominal adjectives, then, when the article is present, the
adjective's (structural) position to the noun will determine and be the
same as its (semantic) relation to the noun."

PAS and hOLOS are really quite tricky; it's worth looking at BDF §275
regarding them.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/