[B-Greek] Heb 6:9 KAI ECOMENA SWTHRIAS

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Fri Jul 25 06:01:21 EDT 2003

At 10:15 25/07/2003, Erich Vaughan Burton wrote:

>It would seem to me that the particple "ECOMENA" is being used
>substantively in this case, however I don't understand why in the translation
>they are the things "that accompany" and why SWTHRIAS is in the genitive
>case.
>
>My question:
>
>Is this an idiomatic expression?

Erich:
I see you are looking for on-line answers to your questions. However, I
think you will have to go to the library shelves on this one.
"Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics", on p.112 lists Hb 6:9 as an additional
example of " genitive of comparison [ than ] ".

BDAG, dealing with ECW, has this, under s. 11 (a):

 >>  to be closely associated, in a variety of renderings, hold fast, be
next to, be next, mid. (Hom. et al.) in NT only ptc.
  of proper situation or placement, esp. of inner belonging hold fast,
cling to. The "to" of belonging and the "with" of association are expressed
by the gen. <<<

And in: B.F Westcott, On the Epistle to the Hebrews (Grand Rapids:
Eerdmans, 1984 repr.). at Hb 6:9 you will find this:
 >> the exact meaning of ECOMENA SWTHRIAS is somewhat uncertain.
........... the construction ECESQAI TIVOS is used of local contiguity ( Mk
1:38)
and also of temporal connection ( Lk 13:33; Ac 20:15, 21:26 )

Vine's Expository Dictionary is brief, and to the point <g>
 >> 3.    ECW  to have, is rendered "accompany "in Heb. 6:9, "things that
accompany salvation." The margin gives perhaps the better sense, "things
that are near to salvation."

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]
mauros at iol.ie

"Mere description is impossible. Language forces you to an implicit
comment." C.S. Lewis