[B-Greek] 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 and spiritual gifts/manifestations

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jul 24 19:26:56 EDT 2003

At 12:39 PM -0400 7/24/03, Kuzus at aol.com wrote:
>I have a question about 1 Corinthians 12:7-11. I do not know any Greek and
>I am trying to get a better understanding of the passage. Are the "to one"
>and "to another" referring to one man? or to one profit? I am looking for
>information about whether each man receives all of the manifestations of
>the Spirit or each man is given a different manifestation. In verse 11,
>does the Spirit give individual gifts according to his will, or does he
>give all the gifts according to his will? Also, in a related question, is
>there a difference between "gifts" (charisma) of the Spirit, or
>"manifestations" (phanerosis) of the Spirit? I appreciate any light you
>can shed on this subject.
>
>Mike Higman
>St. Petersburg, FL
>Student/Florida State University

Quite frankly, it becomes clear that you've addressed your question to the
wrong forum as soon as you tell us that you do not know any Greek. I cite
from the list's FAQ (accessible at http://www.ibiblio.org/b-greek/faq.txt):

"Anyone interested in New Testament Studies is invited to subscribe, but
list-members will be assumed to have at least a working knowledge of
Biblical Greek. While "lurkers" are welcome to receive and read list
correspondence, posts to the list are expected to pose questions about
Biblical Greek, not general questions or opinions about doctrine or the
meaning of the English text. Even basic questions are welcome, provided
they are really about the meaning of the Greek text. This is not a general
discussion list for Biblical matters. While one need not be a Greek scholar
to subscribe, one should at least be taking the first serious steps in the
study of Biblical Greek."

Co-Chair, B-Greek List
cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/