[B-Greek] 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 and spiritual gifts/manifestations

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 19:15:59 EDT 2003

On Thu 24 Jul 2003 (12:39:33), kuzus at aol.com wrote:
> I have a question about 1 Corinthians 12:7-11. I do not know any Greek
> and I am trying to get a better understanding of the passage. Are the
> "to one" and "to another" referring to one man? or to one profit? I am
> looking for information about whether each man receives all of the
> manifestations of the Spirit or each man is given a different
> manifestation. In verse 11, does the Spirit give individual gifts
> according to his will, or does he give all the gifts according to his
> will? Also, in a related question, is there a difference between
> "gifts" (charisma) of the Spirit, or "manifestations" (phanerosis) of
> the Spirit? I appreciate any light you can shed on this subject.

 Dear Mike,
 Paul is making the point that any one Christian does *not* have *all* the
 gifts. The gifts are spread around the church members, so that the church
 members need one another. The Holy Spirit gives one gift to one individual,
 and another gift to another individual. The rest of the chapter makes this
 very clear.

 Some may have more than one gift; compare our Lord's parable of the talents
 where one had 5, another 2 and another just 1 (Matthew 25:14ff). Each
 recipient of a gift is another person; hEKASTWi DE..... hWi MEN.... ALLWi
 DE..... hETERWi..... ALLWi DE...... ALLWi DE...... ALLWi DE.......
 ALLWi DE........ hETERWi...... ALLWi DE.......

 A FANERWSIS is a manifestation of a gift; the CARISMATA are grace-gifts.
 In verse 4 there are CARISMATA; in verse 5 there are DIAKONIA; and in
 verse 6 there are ENERGHMATA. Here we may discern different categories of
 manifestations of the Spirit. They are gifts given to enable the church to
 function as a church by equipping church members with the gifts to perform
 their part in the wellbeing of the congregation as a whole.

 AIUI

 ERRWSQE

 Ben
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>