[B-Greek] Septuagint translated by Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton

Barry Hofstetter nebarry at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 14:05:26 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "perry & Debbie McChesney" <perry at globalriver.com>
To: "b-greek list" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 3:46 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] Septuagint translated by Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton

> In Exodus 3:14 I ran across  something I find paculiar. The phrase EGO
> EIMI HO HWN. I looked up HWN (I may be transliterating incorrectly the H
> is a rough breath mark in HWN and in the HO not an eta) in the BDAG and
> can't find a definition for HWN. In this phrase the HWN is the only word
> capitalized in the Greek manuscript and Brenton defines it Being. Does
> anyone have a dictionary with a definition for HWN and can anyone
> comment on it's capitalization and any different Greek manuscripts of
> the Septuagint.

1.  You are transliterating incorrectly -- it is a smooth breathing, WN.

2.  It is the present participle, masculine nominative singular of EIMI.

3.  Capitalization is strictly due to the disgression of the editor.  The
ancients did not use that particular convention, and the early manuscripts of
the LXX were certainly written in all uncials.

4.  You are, of course, dealing with something the interpretation of which has
engendered much controversy over the ages, including whether or not the
translation in Ex 3:14 is an allowable one from the Hebrew...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Associate Pastor, Chinese Gospel Church
Professor of Theological and Biblical Studies
 The Center for Urban Theological Studies
         Philadelphia, PA
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1yfx7/