[B-Greek] Re: Comma

Steve Puluka spuluka at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 22 22:06:24 EDT 2003

on 7/22/03 12:04 PM, SDBIBLESTUDY at aol.com at SDBIBLESTUDY at aol.com wrote:

> Actually, I was not really sure what I was looking for...but the more I
> research the subject...the more intricate it becomes....I guess what I would
> really like to see is an early copy of the Latin Vulgate with a comma written
> in the margin...but maybe this does not exist?

Dear Jeff,

You may want to read the excellent appendix on this topic in Raymond Brown's
commentary on the Epistles of John in the Anchor Bible series.  In the
section on the Latin Textual tradition he notes: "If we try to go back
beyond the evidence of our extant MSS, it is not clear that the Comma was
included in the text of I John when St. Peregrinus edited the Vulgate in
Spain in the fifth century.  After a stage when the Comma was written in the
margin, it was brought into the Latin text in or before the time of Isidore
of Seville (early seventh century)."

Brown provides the list of seven Spanish manuscripts that contain the Comma
from the 7th to 9th century.  There is a footnote to Brooke, Epistles p
156-58 for a listing of post 10th century manuscripts.

I would infer from the wording "beyond the evidence" above that the marginal
note here and in Metzger is an assumption based on the existing texts and
discussions in patristic literature and not an observation of a particular
manuscript.  You could research the manuscripts listed by Brown and Brooke
to confirm the existence of the marginal note.  In any case, Brown's
appendix is well worth the read.

--
Steve Puluka
Master's Student