[B-Greek] Comma

Gergely Juhasz Gergely.Juhasz at arts.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Jul 22 12:00:02 EDT 2003

Dear Jeff,

You probably mean the Codex Montfortianus (ms. 61. ) preserved in Trinity
College, Dublin (shelfnumber: MS. 30). This ms has been identified as the
one used by Erasmus for his famous third edition of his Greek-Latin NT
(gamma 1522). This edition is remarkable for the inclusion of the three
heavenly witnesses in 1 John 5,7 which Erasmus had promised to his
opponents to insert if the passage could be found in a Greek ms. The
required authority was discovered in England (see Erasmus' Annot. in loc.)
so he fulfilled his promise. The ms in question has been identified as the
Codex Montfortianus which at the time was probably owned (or even produced
by) the English Franciscans (see Rendel Harris, Origin of the Leicester
Codex, 1887, pp. 46-48). The Franciscans at Antwerp, too, were said to have
possessed another ms in which the words were added by a later hand in the
margin.

If it is any help, I made a transcription of the passage when I examined
the ms in Dublin. I kept the linebreaks, but I left out accents here for
the sake of conformity to B-Greek format. Letters within [] are abbreviated
in the original. Note that the short passage includes other variant
readings, too, that were _not_ followed by Erasmus:

folio 439r :
[...] OUTOS ESTIN O ELQWN DI'UDATOS, KAI
AIMATOS KAI PN[EUMATO]S AGIOU, I[HSOU]S O C[RISTO]S. OUK EN TWi UDATI MONON
ALL'EN TWi UDATI KAI AIMATI. KAI TO PN[EUM]A ESTI TO MAP
TUROUN OTI O C[RISTO]S ESTIN ALHQEIA. OTI TREIS EISIN OI MARTU
ROUNT[ES] EN TWi OU[RA]NWi. P[AT]HR, LOGOS, KAI PN[EUM]A AGION.
KAI OUTOI OI TREIS EN EISI. KAI TREIS EISIN OI MARTU
ROUNT[ES] EN THi GHi PN[EU]MA, UDWP, KAI AIMA.[...]

Erasmus's text in his third edition of the Novum Testamentum (1522) reeds
as follows:
p. 522:
[...] OUTOS ESTIN O ELQWN DI'UDATOS, KAI AI
MATOS IHSOUS CRISTOS. OUK EN TWi UDATI MONON
ALL'EN TWi UDATI KAI TWi AIMATI. KAI TO PNEU
MA ESTI TO MAPTUROUN, OTI TO PNEUMA ESTIN H A
LHQEIA. OTI TREIS EISIN OI MARTUROUNTES EN TWi
OURANWi, PATHR, LOGOS, KAI PNEUMA AGION. KAI
OUTOI OI TREIS EN EISI. KAI TREIS EISIN OI MARTU
ROUNTES EN THi GHi PNEUMA, KAI UDWP, KAI AI
MA[...]

I also have a scan of Erasmus' text (only pages 522-523), which I can send
you if you are interested. The scan is copyrighted (for a book we pulished
last year but at the end this scan did not make it into the book) so it can
be only used for private purposes.
Reagards,

Gergely Juhasz

--