[B-Greek] LInguistic question on Luke 1:1

Ann Nyland accuratebibles at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 18 20:05:27 EDT 2003

Kenneth, this is a question for a lexicographer, not a linguist. I don't know why you say PLHROFOREW is a "fairly formal" word, as the papyri and ostraca don't show evidence of that. It also is well enough attested. At any rate, you could consult Moulton and Milligan for references. Deissmann (Light from the Ancient East) discusses it, and that's even ignoring the evidence from the last 80 years. (Btw, it occurs also in Rom. and 2 Tim. as wll as the LXX.)

For an excellent article on lexicographical methods and issues, I'd suggest you read G.H.R. Horsley G.H.R. and J.A. Lee, "A Lexicon of the New Testament with Documentary Parallels: Some Interim Entries, 1" Etlologia Neotestamenataria, Vol X Mavo Novembre 1997, 55-84.

As for "determining the meaning of a word from its semantic domain by a hearer/reader" - that's what lexicographers do.

Ann Nyland