[B-Greek] LInguistic question on Luke 1:1

Kenneth Litwak javajedi2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 03:05:42 EDT 2003

I have a question for anyone on the list who has
training in linguistics.  Based on current thinking in
linguistics, is there a resource I can go to that
would provide guidance in determining how a first
century reader/hearer would go about determining the
meaning of a word in its context if the word was
polyvalent?  The specific word I am interested in is
PEPLHROFORHMENWN.  I want to know if linguistics can
help in determining how someone, coming to LUKE 1:1
for the very first time, without later assumptions of
commentators, would go about determining from the
semantic domain of this word, what it means.
What is the effect of this not being a particularly
common, and fairly formal word?  I"m not interested in
anything but a linguistic perspective.  I don't think
it is right to determine what this word means based on
some interpretation of the rest of Luke's Gospel since
the first audience has not gotten there yet. I'm
hoping there’s a good book or article out there that
talks about the process of determining the meaning of
a word from its semantic domain by a hearer/reader.
Thanks.

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Affiliate Faculty
Professional Studies