[B-Greek] Gender of adjectives.

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jul 17 20:10:43 EDT 2003

At 7:58 PM -0400 7/17/03, <bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca> wrote:
>Many have advised me to learn classical Greek in order to increase my
>understanding of Biblical Greek.
>I have decided to follow this advice and I am starting with Homeric Greek.
>In my grammar it says the following: "The masculine form of many
>adjectives is often used for both masculine and feminine, even in the case
>of those which have separate forms for the feminine".
>My question is; Can this also happen in Biblical Greek or is this
>something that has changed over time?

Indeed it can happen: ERHMOS can be either masculine or feminine but is
commonly used in the gospels for "wilderness" in hH ERHMOS (where the noun
GH is implicit). There are numerous others, and in general the Attic rule
holds true in Koine that compounded adjectives such as ATUCHS or ABLABHS or
AQANATOS have one termination for m. & f., another for the neuter.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/