[B-Greek] Greek letters discontinued

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Jul 14 19:11:28 EDT 2003

At 2:17 PM -0700 7/14/03, Mitch Larramore wrote:
>Can someone tell me what happened to the following
>Greek letters? Did they all stop being used at the
>same time and for the same reason?
>
>Digamma
>San
>Koppa

This is a matter of the gradually emerging dominance of the 24 characters
of the Ionian alphabet and elimination of consonants that were deemed to
duplicate sounds of other characters or sounds (digamma) that became
obsolete. For one brief account of this you might consult Smyth's grammar,
§§1-2 at

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0007&query=head%3D%233

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/