[B-Greek] Gospel of John 4:24 example

mark lama markosl80 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 18:11:08 EDT 2003

Dear Mitch,

The use of one preposition with two objects connected by the copula KAI, is simply a case of ellipsis, the grammatically permissable, and often preferable, leaving out of words that are easily understood from context. Thus, in the phrase  EN PNEUMATI KAI ALHQEIAi (or for that matter in the English phrase "in spirit and truth") the second preposition is not really gone-- it is merely understood tacitly: EN PNEUMATI KAI (EN) ALHQEIAi (or "in spirit and (in) truth"). The omission of the second preposition is a formal mutation of the sentence structure that leaves the sense unchanged.

Your question, then, really comes down to whether PNEUMATI KAI ALHQEIAi is a case of hendiadys, that is the expression of one whole, complex concept by the use of two nouns joined by the word "and". This is a separate question, since hendiadys also occurs in the nominative, without the prepositional situation that we have here.

I think you are right in perceiving a special relationship between the two nouns joined here. This, however should be attributed to the rather common stylistic tactic of building of "one (concept) through two", hEN DIA DUO--hendiadys-- and not the placement of the nouns under a single (openly expressed) preposition.

CARIS KAI EIRHNH,

Mark Lama

Mitch Larramore <mitchlarramore at yahoo.com> wrote:
Help.

PNEUMA hO QEOS KAI TOUS PROSKUNOUNTAS AUTON
EN PNEUMATI KAI ALHQEIAi

My question is about 1 preposition used with 2
nouns/objects.

What does this kind of grammatical arrangement say
about the relationship between the two nouns/objects?
I was wondering if this kind of arrangement
grammatically "creates" some kind of relationship
between the two nouns/objects that otherwise would not
necessarily be thought of together.

=====
Mitch Larramore
Spring Branch, Texas