[B-Greek] Mark 6:20

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Sat Jul 12 03:44:54 EDT 2003

> >Most translations of the N-A text seem to take POLLA as an adverb,
> >modifying the following verb HPOREI.
> >But R.C.H. Lenski in his commentary takes POLLA as the object of the
> >participle AKOUSAS.
> >This last options makes most sense to me, but why don't any of the
> >translations take it that way?
>
> I think the reading of POLLA as adverbial with HPOREI is the only natural
> way to read the text as you've given it, which is to say, as the NA27 text
> prints it.

<snip>
> Even if that first POLLA were to be taken with AKOUSAS,
> it's not an object but an adverbial usage: "after hearing him a lot."
> I wouldn't say that's out of the question
> but I think the word-order favors taking that POLLA with HPOREI.

In addition to agreeing with Carl against Lenski on this, let me add that
this somewhat idiomatic adverbial usage of POLLA with the sense "much,
greatly, a lot" seems particularly common in Mark's gospel. Compare for
instance:
Mrk 3:12 KAI POLLA EPETIMA AUTOIS
Mrk 5:10 KAI PAREKALEI POLLA
Mrk 5:23 KAI PARAKALEI AUTON POLLA
Mrk 5:26 KAI POLLA PAQOUSA
Mrk 5:38 KAI KLAIONTAS KAI ALALAZONTAS POLLA
Mrk 5:43 KAI DIESTEILATO AUTOIS POLLA
Mrk 9:26 KAI POLLA SPARAXAS EXHLQEN

Whether POLLA precedes or follows the verb is in my opinion a matter of
relative prominence between the two words. The further to the left it
occurs, the more prominent it is.

Iver Larsen