[B-Greek] Mark 6:20

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jul 10 19:27:19 EDT 2003

At 2:07 PM -0500 7/10/03, Pastor Mark Eddy wrote:
>Mark 6:20 ends with 3 clauses describing Herod's reaction to John the
>Baptizer:
>KAI AKOUSAS AUTOU POLLA HPOREI KAI HDEWS AUTOU HKOUEN.
>My question is: with which clause does POLLA belong?
>The Majority text takes it as the object of the following verb: POLLA EPOIEI
>Most translations of the N-A text seem to take POLLA as an adverb,
>modifying the following verb HPOREI.
>But R.C.H. Lenski in his commentary takes POLLA as the object of the
>participle AKOUSAS.
>This last options makes most sense to me, but why don't any of the
>translations take it that way?

I think the reading of POLLA as adverbial with HPOREI is the only natural
way to read the text as you've given it, which is to say, as the NA27 text
prints it: AKOUW normally takes a genitive of the person, so that AUTOU is
the object of AKOUSAS AUTOU and also the second AUTOU is the ojbect of
hHDEWS AUTOU HKOUEN. You ought also to take into account the fact that
AKOUSAS is aorist ptc and in its position surely carries the sense of
antecedent circumstance, while the verbs that follow are in the imperfect:
"After hearing him, he continued to be very much (POLLA) puzzled (about
what to do) and he continued to hear him with pleasure. Even if that first
POLLA were to be taken with AKOUSAS, it's not an object but an adverbial
usage: "after hearing him a lot." I wouldn't say that's out of the question
but I think the word-order favors taking that POLLA with HPOREI.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/