[B-Greek] Gnomic present

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 8 09:27:57 EDT 2003

Tom:

Do not think of the "Gnomic" as something related to Tense. Gnomic should be
understood
as something related to a Proposition. Gnomics therefore can occur with
Presents or Aorists,
for example.

A Gnomic statement almost falls within its own Genre. You have to look for
features surrounding
the proposition to determine if it is a temporal based proposition or not.

If the entire passage is a Gnomic expression, then I would caution you from
dissecting its
individual components into temporal units.

There are several Present Tense verbs within this passage; are you referring
to one particular (unit)
or are you asking about the entire passage?

Some thoughts,

Mark Wilson