[B-Greek] 1 Timothy 1:12

waldo slusher waldoslusher at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 06:02:21 EDT 2003

Mark...

Paul expresses a thankfullness to the one who
empowered (aorist) him. This empowerment would have
taken place when the Spirit indwelt him (and so
likewise the placing of him into ministry, see
QEMENOS, also aorist) which might both be assumed to
have taken place at the moment of his
calling/conversion. Furthermore, when this
empowerment/placement was received, Paul was deemed
(another aorist) faithful. So when did Paul have time
to gain the Lord's confidence if all this happened in
one fell swoop at his calling. Maybe this is the
difficulty imagined. Paul as much expresses his
wonderment because in his eyes he was nothing more
than a blasphemer before this placement took place.
But this would also explain why Paul considered his
placement a matter of grace and mercy. That would be
my stab at this difficulty.

Waldo

--- Mark Wilson <emory2oo2 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> CARIN ECW TWi ENDUNAMWSANTI ME CRISTWi IHSOU TWi
> KURIWi HMWN,
> hOTI PISTON ME hHGHSATO QEMENOS EIS DIAKONIAN
>
> I am reading a commentary on this verse and it makes
> the following comment:
>
> "Paul now tells Timothy why he thanked the
> empowering of Christ. His
> reasoning is somewhat difficult to follow because
> the structure of his
> thought does not follow the grammatical structure of
> the sentence, and the
> versification also hides the structure."
>
> He then says regarding PISTON...hHGHSATO as one
> possible meaning, "(b) Paul
> is
> probably saying that God knew that he would be
> trustworthy in the future and
> therefore appointed him to service in the present.
>
> What am I missing here as to the grammatical
> difficulty with this verse? It
> seems pretty straight
> forward to me that Paul is simply saying that God
> saw that Paul would be
> faithful IN THE FUTURE
> when he appointed him (whenever that was) to this
> service.
>
> Mark Wilson

=====
Waldo Slusher