[B-Greek] 1 Timothy 1:12

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:32:07 EDT 2003

CARIN ECW TWi ENDUNAMWSANTI ME CRISTWi IHSOU TWi KURIWi HMWN,
hOTI PISTON ME hHGHSATO QEMENOS EIS DIAKONIAN

I am reading a commentary on this verse and it makes the following comment:

"Paul now tells Timothy why he thanked the empowering of Christ. His
reasoning is somewhat difficult to follow because the structure of his
thought does not follow the grammatical structure of the sentence, and the
versification also hides the structure."

He then says regarding PISTON...hHGHSATO as one possible meaning, "(b) Paul
is
probably saying that God knew that he would be trustworthy in the future and
therefore appointed him to service in the present.

What am I missing here as to the grammatical difficulty with this verse? It
seems pretty straight
forward to me that Paul is simply saying that God saw that Paul would be
faithful IN THE FUTURE
when he appointed him (whenever that was) to this service.

Mark Wilson