[B-Greek] Ephesians 2:8 TOUTO

Barry Hofstetter nebarry at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 31 14:42:55 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry W. Jones" <hwjones2 at earthlink.net>
To: "b-greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 12:50 PM
Subject: RE: [B-Greek] Ephesians 2:8 TOUTO

> Hello,
>
> If the participle SESWSMENOI were neuter and singular I could see that but
> it is tagged as masculine and also plural by Friberg. So Hukel's idea of
> PLOUTOS does seem to me to be a more likely candidate. Interestingly,
> Wallace doesn't mention this.

SESWSMENOI is indeed masculine plural.  However, the problem with PLOUTOS as the
antecedent is the fact that it is so far removed from PLOUTOS (I count 18 words
and, more importantly, a major change in sense, with the GAR clause), that
making PLOUTOS the antecedent is not at all clear.

Also, what would it mean?  "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and
this [riches/wealth] not of yourselves..."  Contextually, it just doesn't seem
to flow.  I think assuming that the preceding clause is the antecedent better
explains the use of the neuter singular here.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Fecisti nos ad te et inquietum est cor nostrum, donec requiescat in te...
    -- Augustine, Confessions 1:1

http://home.earthlink.net/~nebarry